Welcome to ODK's Docs!¶
ODK is a suite of open source tools that help organizations collect and manage data.
The core ODK tools are:
- ODK Collect, an Android app that replaces paper-based forms.
- ODK Aggregate, a proven server for data storage and analysis tool.
- ODK Central, a modern server with a RESTful API.
- ODK Build, a drag-and-drop form designer.
- ODK XLSForm, an Excel-based form designer.
- ODK Briefcase, a desktop tool that pulls and exports data from Aggregate and Collect.
The specifications and libraries that power the tools are:
- OpenRosa, APIs for how ODK clients communicate with ODK servers.
- ODK XForms spec, a subset of the W3C XForms specification, for use in the ODK ecosystem.
- ODK JavaRosa, a Java library that renders forms complying with ODK XForms.
- XLSForm spec, a high-level Excel-based form specification.
- pyxform, a Python library that converts XLSForms into ODK XForms.
For a complete list of our tools, check out ODK on GitHub.
How is ODK used?¶
For a quick start, read Getting Started With ODK. In most cases, users of ODK:
- Create survey forms using Build or XLSForm.
- Upload forms to an ODK Aggregate server.
- Load forms into ODK Collect on an Android device.
- Use Collect to fill out forms with participants.
- Upload survey data from Collect to Aggregate.
- Analyze or export data in Aggregate.
While this is the typical use pattern, it is not the only way to do things. ODK is a very flexible set of tools, and organizations will find their own best practices for adopting it.