Welcome to ODK's Docs!¶
ODK is a suite of open source tools that help organizations collect and manage data.
For a quick start, read Getting Started With ODK. In most cases, users of ODK:
- Create survey forms using the XLSForm standard in Excel or Google Sheets.
- Upload forms to an ODK Central server.
- Download forms into ODK Collect on an Android device.
- Use Collect to fill out forms with participants.
- Upload survey data from Collect to Central.
- Analyze or export data from Central.
While this is the recommended workflow, it is not the only way to do things. ODK is a very flexible set of tools, and organizations will find their own best practices for adopting it.
Additional ODK tools are:
- ODK Build, a drag-and-drop form designer. We generally recommend XLSForm for its flexibility but users only building very simple forms may prefer Build.
- ODK Briefcase, a desktop tool that pulls and exports data from Aggregate and Collect.
The specifications and libraries that power the tools are:
- OpenRosa, APIs for how ODK clients communicate with ODK servers.
- ODK XForms spec, a subset of the W3C XForms specification, for use in the ODK ecosystem.
- ODK JavaRosa, a Java library that renders forms complying with ODK XForms.
- XLSForm spec, a high-level Excel-based form specification.
- pyxform, a Python library that converts XLSForms into ODK XForms.
For a complete list of our tools, check out ODK on GitHub.